Extended BEng degree programmes
Extended degree programmes were introduced to help students with an inadequate school background to master the BEng programmes. These extended degree programmes offer alternative access to the programmes of the Faculty of Engineering.
Extended degree programmes require one extra year of study, which precedes the curriculum of the four-year programmes. Students who have completed this extra year successfully, and who meet certain additional requirements, may continue with the curriculum of the four-year degree programmes of the Faculty of Engineering.
A limited number of students are selected for the extended degree programmes and preference is given to students from educationally disadvantaged environments. One cannot apply directly for an extended degree programme, but should apply for a four-year BEng programme. Applicants will automatically be considered for an extended degree programme, provided they meet the admission requirements for the extended degree programmes.
Admission requirements for the extended degree programmes
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) certified for admission to bachelor's studies, or an exemption certificate from the Matriculation Board
- An average of at least 60% in the NSC
- Mathematics 60%
- Physical Sciences 50%
A language mark that meets one of the following requirements:
- English Home Language 40% OR
- English First Additional Language 60% OR
- English First Additional Language 50% AND Afrikaans Home Language 40% or Afrikaans Second Additional Language 60%
- Over and above the aforementioned requirements, candidates are subject to selection according to selection criteria, similarly to the four-year BEng programmes